Leases and rental agreements set out the rules of the landlord-tenant relationship, many of which are covered by state law (and sometimes local law, such as rent control ordinances). State laws cover a wide range of issues that are included in leases and rental agreements. Here are are just a few examples:
- dollar limits on late rent fees
- dollar limits on bounced rent checks
- dollar limits on security deposits
- interest payments on security deposits
- deadline for landlord to return deposit
- type of itemization required for security deposit deductions
- notice required for landlord to enter rental property
- circumstances when landlords may enter rental property, and
- disclosures, such as presence of environmental hazards like mold.
The Nolo website has useful articles and products on leases and rental agreements.
Go Back to Terms in Leases & Rental Agreements